Monday, May 27, 2013

..another conversation

And here we are, a typical Dutch afternoon, dark pouring sky, hundreds of students around us from over a hundred nationalities.. [well this is what they say, I have never tried counting myself], our individual project meetings scheduled in about thirty minutes:

..and then she goes

‘Oh I saw her picture, I think she is really pretty’

‘Yeah?… I think so too!’ I surely do.

‘I like this black bean sauce… ever tried? My first attempt to redirect conversation.

‘..you never told me how you guys came to know each other’

‘You really wanna know that?’

‘Duh?’ Raised eyebrows.

‘Well… I used to read her blog’

‘She writes?’

‘Yeah..’ and hers is the only blog I read.

‘And so do you right?’

‘Call it rambling rather’ That's me, always!

‘..yeah yeah’

‘And where does she study exactly?’

‘Near Boston?’

‘She got an scholarship too?’

‘Yup!’  Oh I am so proud of her.

‘And what is she gonna study in Amsterdam?’

‘Law’

‘Ohh…’ She is thinking, has she found an other connection?

Few minutes of silence, the only Chinese among us, our food, prevails.

‘Noor..?’ ..and here she goes on again.

‘Yes, sweetheart?’

‘You know.. it all seems so nice to me’

‘Yeah I know you like Chinese’ Lameness takes over.

‘Nooo, I meant what you have with her and how you talk about her’

…okay so she wants to talk about this more.

‘..yeah?’

 ‘Yeah… from how she looks and whatever I know about her… I feel she’s a really good 
person, and you two are a fine match’

‘..really? But only an hour back you called me an idiot!’ But she did!!.

‘That you are! But seriously.. you know that you stand out right’.

‘No I don’t, tell me? Rather ‘educate’ me’. I wink.

This time she ignores me and goes on

‘..and this whole idea of being together in Amsterdam, Paris and all these places, far away 
from home doing what you love to do…sounds soooo perfect.’

‘...yeah … still few months to go’

….she does not reply.

‘So Noor, would you be doing your thesis in Amsterdam then?’

I look at her, such a broad smile on her face.

We will see.’




We both laugh.

No comments: